Monday, December 16, 2013

Carl's Jr., you heard me.

Ok, I know I have never blogged about a fast food joint before, and for good reason. Mainly that reason is that they are not very good and, thus I try to avoid them. However, no one can escape fast food. At some point you're gonna be desperate and it will be the only option. Or, if you're like me, sometimes you just crave a jr. bacon cheeseburger and a frosty at Wendy's. We all know fast food is poor quality and usually equally poor service, yet we go anyway and some of us go often. Don't get me wrong I like a fast food burger every once in a while. They are usually edible and are masked with just enough taste as to convince us that they are 'good'. 
But let's try something, reach back into the recesses of your memory and try to remember what a fast food burger taste like. This should be easy, it's not hard to remember. If you can truly bring this to your memory than you will realize that the fast food 'burgers' you like so well don't actually taste much like a real genuine burger, not really. Right? Not surprisingly, these are merely synthetic recreations of a product with inferior ingredients, some of which are made and cooked in China before being shipped here. 
However, there are two things that most fast food places do that I think are executed well, as far as taste goes anyway. The two things that are most delicious on the fast food menu are their fries and most of their breakfast sandwiches. McDonald fries are a cheap imitation of the real thing, buuuuuuuuuuut damn they taste good! They are just good and I can't resist them. Damn them all, I am powerless to their evil, evil fries.
Anyway, I'm not here to blog about fries, not today. Today I want to give credit where credit is due to Carl's Jr. (The west coast version of Hardee's). They are stepping out of the box as of the last couple of years and I for one have noticed. As far as I know they are the only fast food chain to make their biscuits fresh every day. There is a difference between, say, McDonald's pre-cooked-then-frozen biscuit and one that is fresh baked from dough from Carl's Jr, a big big difference. Seriously, it would be like comparing the repulsive feeling you get by touching the sticky used gum stuck to the underside of a table to the blissful blissfulness of being cuddled by puppies and ducklings in a nest of cotton candy. It would be like comparing pulling porcupine quills out of the roof of your mouth to being in a hot air balloon with a dozen baby otters who sang sweet lullaby's in your ear until you fell asleep curled up in the bottom of the wicker basket. (Man, can I paint a picture with my words or what!) Seriously though, their biscuits are amazing which makes their breakfast sandwiches even amazinger. I'm sure the eggs, the bacon, and the sausage are all pre-frozen and probably microwaved and the cheese is made of plastic but the buttery flaky biscuit comes in and gives you a big hug and makes everything ok.

I don't know how but Carl's Jr. got our address and sends us coupons every month. I'm not even mad. We use them fairly often. Every time we make a trip to southern Utah we stop there for a couple Monster Biscuits for the trip. And their coupons are actually good, meaning they are buy one get one free or $1 off your order, you know, they actually have some value. We also get coupons for a chinese restaurant in the mail that offers a free small drink when you purchase two entrees and a desert at regular price, not even tempted. Are there people living who fall for this stuff? Also, Carl's Jr. usually has some breakfast deal that requires no coupon at all, like two bacon egg biscuits for $2.22. It's well worth it, although the sausage is better.
I'm thinking Carl's Jr. is achieving some success with their decision to bake their own biscuits because I recently saw a poster saying they are now baking their own burger buns. I haven't tried them, but I like the sound of that.
So if you want a little quality in your fast food experience for a change try out Carl's Jr. for breakfast and, hell, get fries with it while you're at it.

1 comment: