Tuesday, December 3, 2013

St. George's FROSTOP

As you may have noticed, at times, I travel to St. George, Utah which is my wife's home town. I love everything about that lovely desert town except that as a result of my visits my skin often turns crispy and red. 2 minutes in that summer sun will most likely kill me. One of the several disadvantages of being a redhead.
On our most recent visit to this sandy paradise we decided to visit an old time favorite and local family-owned diner in town, Larsen's Frost Top. I've actually eaten here before, getting your fair-quality shake every once in a while. Their shakes are . . . fair in quality.
If you really want a blast from the past just park in one of their many drive-in slots and a lovely young waitress will walk up to your window and take your order. No one does that anymore! Although I do think the experience lacks a certain roller skate quality.
It's a fantasy of mine to park at a diner and have a woman in a whirly skirt roll up to my window on her American flag roller skates and say "What'll ya have hun?" Then later she'll roll up to my window again with a strange tray, and on that tray will be an big greasy burger. The strange tray will defy physics and balance on the outside of my partially open window. . . Alas, I fear it is only a silly dream.


I ordered, of course, the bacon cheeseburger (aka, the Queen Burger). I bought lunch for 4 people and spent $15. Not bad. As you can see, we ordered a bit of everything. The nearly-burnt-looking onion rings are what really stood out to me. After eating everthing, including the promising onion rings, it became apparent that all the food, much like their shakes, was fair in quality. Fair might even be an itsy bit generous too. Better than your typical fast food? Perhaps, but only just.

I found myself puzzled. Usually at a restaurant, burger places in particular, there is a menu item that I refer to as the "hero". Most burger places reserve that title for their burgers. Der! This is the item that they pride themselves in either perfecting or reinventing. I have no idea if Frost Top even has a hero. I'm not sure if they're a burger place that also serves ice cream or vice versa. I'm unsure because all the items I've tried have been, again, 'fair in quality'. My wife tends to think that their glaciers are the heroes, which is a snowcone on top of ice cream. She may be right, I've tried them and they are quite good. Good, but also easily executed.
But wait! I literally, just now as I was typing, remembered going to Frost Top a few years ago and absolutely LOVING what was served to me. What was it, you ask? It was their grilled ham & swiss sandwich. I don't know what it was about that particular sandwich but it was amazing. After finishing it I nearly ordered another.
So there you go, for fair in quality and affordable food as well as the occasional high quality glacier and grilled ham & swiss sandwhich give Frost Top a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment