Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Oscar's


Just outside the entrance to Zions National Park is a very small town called Springdale. The occupants of said town appear be a hybrid of hippies and yuppies, let's just call them hyippies. Also, I don't know how this is relevant and I'm not sure if it's a deterrent or an incentive but from what I saw the women in Springdale don't wear underwear, though I'm not sure the men do either. I'm not really sure how our group knew this but we all came to this same conclusion. For some reason it seemed weird that they didn't wear underwear even in the heat, I don't blame them really, I would probably do the same if I lived in the scalding heat, but it was a distraction nonetheless. Good or bad I don't know. Take that for what it's worth. Anyway, in this town full of hyippies is a small restaurant called Oscar's that is violently loved by its customers. Everyone who loves Oscar's LOOOOOOVES Oscars and after my first visit I can see why. Oscar's make enormous portions of delectable food.
My wife and I double-dated with friends of ours, Ben & Tiffany. When I arrived I asked to be seated inside to get out of the 115 degree heat that comes with the summers at Zion National Park only to realize that either the AC wasn't working properly or so many people were packed in the place that the combined body heat was too much for the AC to handle. But it's funny how when you're with good people and eating good food how you just kind of get used to the heat and forget it. Either that or dehydration and heat stroke had kicked in.

Look at this burger, look at it. seriously take a minute. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Isn't it beautiful? I ordered the Big Ass Murder Burger. That is the actual name, it is fitting and appropriate. It's a one pound burger (yes, one pound) on a homemade bun with all the trimmings including bacon and excluding pickles. I was so excited to eat the thing that I had to forgive my friends who, for now, are still my friends even though Ben ordered the Whoop Ass Burger with pineapple (yuck) and Tiffany ordered the bacon cheeseburger (AKA murder burger) without the bacon . . . . I know, I don't understand it either. I have weird friends. While I was busy disowning them and cursing their unborn children the waitress left and I missed the opportunity to ask her to give me Tiffany's bacon from her burger.
This burger had to be attacked, she was tough and she put up a big fight but in the end I won. In fact, I even had room to help my wife finish her rack of ribs. If I do anything well it is eating.
I was worried that Oscar's would only be a novelty location. A place that served lots of food that was 'just ok'. But I found that the food was very good as well as being served in large quantities. However, the big portions and delicious food come with a price tag to match.
The verdict? It was a very good burger. And it had better be at $16. It was more of an experience and a novelty than anything but it was very very good. The best I've ever had? No, but very good. I'm not sure where it would rank but it's up there. I'm not even sure it would qualify for my list really, I mean it was a one pound burger. . . .
So if you can stand the heat and are willing to wade through the sea of tourists and 'hanging-free' hyippies then go to Oscar's and try I Big Ass Burger for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment